Lemon Essential oil DIY facial cleanser that clears up blemishes and reduces oily skin.
Ingredients (all can be found at your natural health food stores):
- Carrier oil: Jojoba oil (alternatives almond or grapeseed oil)
- Essential oils of: Lemon, Orange and Tea Tree
- Glycerin: optional (glycerin is very hydroscopic and should not be left on the skin neat for a prolonged amount of time. Rinse off of skin immediately if you come in contact with it. It should also be wiped off of any surfaces it comes in contact with.)
- A glass or plastic bottle or container. The plastic must be made with BPA grade(most are these days- a clear hard plastic) - this protects the oils and keeps them from degrading the plastic.
- Glass liquid measuring cup
- A metal measuring spoon (not plastic)
- Small funnel - to assist in pouring your mixture into your bottle (rinse funnel immediately after use)
- Pour 2 oz of carrier oil into glass measuring cup
- Add 1 tsp of glycerin (optional)
Drop the following E.O.'s directly into the carrier oil.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil - 28 Drops - Antibacterial, antiseptic = blemish buster
- Lemon Essential Oil- 18 Drops - regulates oily skin and antibacterial to fight blemishes
- Orange Essential Oil- 14 Drops - regulates dry skin and aids in the prevention of wrinkles
Use a spoon to mix ingredients thoroughly. Pour into the desired container. This will last approximately 2 months.
Directions of use: *Be careful to not get into eyes and avoid under eye area.
Option 1: Use after using your regular face wash - Pour a nickel size amount in the palm of the hand and gently rub into wet skin in circular motions for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Grab a washcloth and wet it with hot water (not too hot). Rinse rag and immediately place over entire face and hold there for a few seconds. Proceed to wipe off the oil. No need to moisturize face after.
Option 2: Use as your main facial cleanser (my preferred method). Oils are actually excellent at removing excess dirt and oil (yes - using oil to remove oil. Trust me on this!). Apply a quarter size amount into the palm of your hand. Rub into the face in a circular motion for about 30-45 seconds. Add a small amount of warm water to your hands and wet face. Continue washing face with a circular motion for another 30 seconds. Grab a washcloth and wet it with hot water (not too hot). Rinse rag and immediately place over entire face and hold there for a few seconds. Proceed to wipe off all the dirt and oil. No need to moisturize face after.